Tuesday May 18, 2021

Cigarette butt causes fire, evacuation at Lincoln Woods Apartments

spot_img

Latest articles

Most popular

Latest Videos

Random

Photos by Justin Werner

An improperly placed cigarette butt caused a fire Thursday, forcing the evacuation of a building at Lincoln Woods Apartments on NW 34th Street with no injuries reported.

Lincoln Woods Complex Manager John Hoschouer forced entry into apartment 30 after seeing smoke and deeming the resident as “non-responsive.”

The owner of the apartment was not home at the time but rushed home upon hearing about the fire. “I have renters insurance, so that’s good,” she said.

“I kick in the door, and from chest-level to the roof is just smoke — it woofs out the door — I go to the back where the smoke was coming in from the back door.” Hoschouer said. “The fire was along in the wall up into the attic — it was in the far wall where the balconies are.”

Hoschouer did not want to speculate if the fire was electrical but said it was not a case of somebody leaving the oven on “or anything like that.”

“I thought somebody was barbecuing,” a downstairs neighbor said. “I realized it wasn’t the smell of barbecue. I came outside and heard crackling above us and there was flames coming out. I grabbed the hose and I sprayed — we didn’t have much water pressure but I pretty much put all the flames out.”

Another neighbor said she saw smoke and flames. “I said ‘oh my god, let’s get the hell out of here.’ So we ran out. I grabbed my phone and that was it.”

North Lincoln Fire & Rescue, Depoe Bay Fire and Lincoln City Police arrived at the location, 2310 NE 34th Street and conducted interviews and fire protection services.

The American Red Cross was offering temporary housing to displaced renters until their living situations are resolved.

-ADVERTISEMENT-
Justin Wernerhttps://wernerhost.com/
I'm publisher of Lincoln City Homepage and an investigative journalist. Also the web guy, photographer, cameraman, video editor, sportswriter, cat trainer and e-bike enthusiast.

RELATED ARTICLES

Oregon House passes natural disaster legislation

Salem -- Oregon House Democrats David Gomberg and Pam Marsh, who saw first-hand the impact wildfires had last year, have introduced legislation to help victims rebuild and address future tax implications.

Welcome to the comments section. Feel free to speak your mind about topics raised in this article, but please be aware insulting or hateful comments will be removed. Please don’t abuse the anonymity we provide or we will block your access to this website. Have fun and thank you for engaging in discourse on our site.

2 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Need to edit your comment? Send us an email so we can correct it for you!

SEND US AN EMAIL

-ADVERTISEMENT-
-ADVERTISEMENT-spot_img
spot_img
spot_img
spot_img
spot_img
spot_img
spot_img
spot_img

Trending

-ADVERTISEMENT-spot_img

COVID-19

USA
600,535
Total deaths
Updated on May 18, 2021 5:40 am
USA
27,202,309
Total recovered
Updated on May 18, 2021 5:40 am
USA
5,944,794
Total active cases
Updated on May 18, 2021 5:40 am

This website is hosted and maintained by Wernerhost.

Our mission is to provide clients with everything needed to be successful online.

If you need our services, click here.