Monday, February 16, 2026
Home Blog Page 168

Lincoln City Police Employees Association ‘Blue Christmas’ event Dec. 8 2018

0

Lincoln City Police Employees Association’s “Blue Christmas” brings the community and police together with their second-annual family-friendly event 1-4 p.m., Dec. 8 at the Lincoln City Community Center.

Lincoln City Community Center, 2150 NE Oar Pl. (CLICK FOR DIRECTIONS)

“This is the second year we have held this event, so we are looking forward to increasing our participation from last year,” said Police Administrator Tammi Williams.

“Craft with a Cop” will feature three make & take stations where citizens and police personnel will create items together.

Two “Reindeer Games” stations will offer Lincoln City Police Department swag prizes, such as:

  • Cups
  • Magnets
  • Stress balls
  • Bracelets
  • Pens/pencils
  • Coloring books

Each participating child will receive a passport to be stamped at all five stations and completed passports will be entered into a drawing where the winner will get a “police escort” to school on the Friday before Christmas break, complete with donuts and goodies for the entire class.

A big draw returning from last year is “Photo-op with a Cop,” where families can pose for pictures with officers and utilize holiday props for extra festive fun.

Local businesses are sponsoring a free raffle for which each attendee will receive one ticket upon entering the event. As of the writing of this article the following businesses have donated for the raffle:

  • Mazatlan Mexican Restaurant
  • Papa Murphy’s
  • Lincoln City Cinemas
  • Pacific Grind Café
  • Wildflower Grill
  • Lincoln City Glass Center
  • Lincoln City Community Center

Cookies, cocoa, coffee will make up the refreshments.

Blue Christmas Lincoln City Police

 

 

 

Local economy to get boost from Lincoln City Swim Club event

The Lincoln City Swim Club’s annual Pumpkin Sprint meet promises to make a big splash on the local economy this weekend when 10 teams from throughout the state converge at the Lincoln City Community Center pool.

Events will be held Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to approximately 2 p.m., with “pumpkin relays” scheduled for approximately noon Saturday.

Pig n’ Pancake strawberry waffles, breakfast items and Mexican food will be served, and a raffle for floats by Kelly Howard with Lincoln City Glass Center conducted.

Lincoln City pulls together to pull stuck visitor free from beach, rising tide

0

Heidi Krause stuck in sand

Dogs in car
Three dogs on board

Heidi Krause didn’t think she and her three dogs would get perilously stuck in the sand 35 feet from the approaching Pacific Ocean in her Toyota FJ Cruiser south of Taft on Thursday.

Krause was visiting longtime friend David Elton from Lake Oswego on a trip to possibly donate money to the Lincoln City Resource Center and Warming Shelter.

Krause and Elton went to Les Schwab Tires and got new tires for her vehicle and they wanted to test them on the beach. They saw a sign, but it was unclear to them that it stood for “No Motor Vehicles.” Seeing three sets of tire tracks on the beach, Elton went for it.

He drove onto the beach and the car quickly sunk into the sand.

“Oh no, we are totally stuck,” he said.

“I turned around and looked at the ocean and my eyes about popped out of their sockets. I knew we were in a bad pinch,” said Krause.

Realizing they had to act fast, the couple called a tow company, which said it would cost $300 to pull the SUV to safety. Not wanting to pay the charge, they enlisted the help of Lincoln City and Gleneden Beach locals to help them free the stricken FJ Cruiser.

Stuck in sand

A team of six locals used two trucks and three tow lines in multiple attempts to pull Krause’s vehicle free, but the Toyota had sunk too deep and it took Tillamook company Zwald Transport Inc. to save the day.

“It was a heartwarming day renewing our sense of community,” Elton said.

As the vehicle pulled away from the beach, water struck the tires twice before Zwald could tow it to safety.

“It was close,” Elton said of the rising tide. “At the very end, the water bashed up against the car as if the ocean was giving it one last college try.”

Krause and Elton said they wish to thank everyone involved and say they will pay attention to the universal symbol of “No Motor Vehicles” in the future.

Washington fugitive pursuit ends in crash at Nelscott Strip

Nelscott Strip Crash

A male fugitive from Washington was taken into custody by Lincoln City Police early Thursday morning after crashing and rolling his car in a high-speed chase in front of the Nelscott Strip.

Nicholas Lewis Wirkkala, of Kelso, Wash., who faces several charges of assault on police, distribution and possession of methamphetamine, was charged with attempting to elude, reckless driving and numerous other driving violations.

Nelscott Strip Crash
Nelscott Strip

According to a news release, Lincoln City Police assisted the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Department in the chase at about 1 a.m., after being notified of a possible wanted suspect staying at the Roadway Inn & Suites, 1070 SE 1st St. in Lincoln City.

Upon attempting to contact the male inside the motel room, officers reported hearing someone opening a window. Further investigation revealed the male leaped from a second-story window to the ground and to his nearby vehicle.

Sr. Officer Zach Rigg accessed a patrol vehicle as the suspect was fleeing south on Highway 101 from the D River area. Rigg attempted to overtake the suspect as the chase reached speeds of 85 mph in a 30 mph zone, but was unsuccessful.

The suspect vehicle refused to stop after Rigg activated his lights and siren, and continued to flee at a high rate of speed. The suspect lost control of his vehicle in front of the Nelscott strip, where it spun 360 degrees and flipped onto the roof and slid several feet before coming to a rest.

Neither the officers or suspect were injured.

Police called to brutal beating, assault at City Center Motel

city center motel

Lincoln City Police responded Thursday to reports of a male guest at City Center Motel being severely beaten by a man and woman, front desk clerk Teresa Morrison said.

Morrison said a heavy-set woman was dropped off by A Happy Cab of Lincoln City and entered room No. 6. She said the guest in room No. 7 came to the front desk complaining that his TV almost fell over and that an assault was taking place in the room next door.

Morrison said a male companion of the woman arrived at the hotel shortly after she entered and joined her in assaulting the guest. Morrison said the guest fired a BB gun, striking the man in the face and he began bleeding above his nose.

“He had a softball-sized wound and dents in his head,” Morrison said. “I’ve never seen anybody beat up like that in my life.”

According to Morrison, the man and woman fled in opposite directions — the man to a vehicle identified in surveillance footage as a dark purple or dark blue Dodge Durango, and the woman to the back parking lot, where the man picked her up.

Upon arrival, Lincoln City Police cordoned off the area with crime tape, took pictures and interviewed witnesses, she said.

City Center Motel is owned by America’s Best Inn and Suites and located on the same property at 1014 NE Highway 101.

Resource Center celebrates first year and two birthdays

0
Resource Center Ribbon Cutting
Amanda Suzanne-Cherryholmes cuts the ribbon

The Lincoln City Resource Center celebrated its one-year anniversary and the birthdays of President Patrick Alexander and Director Amanda Suzanne-Cherryholmes on Thursday with a Lincoln City Chamber of Commerce ribbon-cutting ceremony.

Cherryholmes gave Homepage a tour of the Resource Center, complete with statistics over the first year of operation.

  • Employment, housing or both were found for 51 of 65 clients, an 80 percent success rate.
  • 30 birth certificates, 36 photo identification cards and two Social Security cards were obtained for clients.
  • 7,081 meals were served.
  • 409 men, 207 women, 31 children, 40 Veterans, 48 Native Americans, 266 locals, 40 working people and 380 transients walked through Resource Center doors.
  • 1,532 showers were taken.
  • 1,242 loads of laundry were done.

Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Lori Arce-Torres presented Resource Center staff with a signed congratulatory award and Cherryholmes cut the ribbon.

Birthday cake was provided and new restaurant D Dogs catered a taco bar to the event.

 

Affordable housing plan draft released; feedback sought

0

Oregon Housing and Community Services (OHCS) released a five-year look at the agency’s priorities, goals and strategies in ensuring a stable and affordable housing landscape.

Breaking New Ground: the OHCS Statewide Housing Plan, was drafted after combining robust statewide outreach and partner input sessions with quantitative data analysis.

SEE THE PLAN

DEFINITIONS APPENDIX

The document reflects what is needed to address the housing and service needs of both rural and urban communities across Oregon. OHCS will seek feedback over the course of the next month to clarify strategies and strengthen the Plan.

Margaret S. Salazar, OHCS Director

OHCS Director Margaret Salazar will be releasing a video interview later this month, ahead of five public meetings to introduce the draft plan and seek feedback on the strategies.

The five meeting dates and locations are listed below.

  • La Grande – November 29th 1 PM – 3 PM at Cook Memorial Library
  • Eugene – December 10th 10 AM -12 PM at a location to be determined
  • Redmond – December 11th 12 PM – 1 PM at Redmond City Hall
    • Part of the Housing For All meeting
  • Forest Grove – December 11th 1 PM – 3 PM at Forest Grove City Hall
  • Newport – December 13th 1 PM – 3 PM at Oregon Coast Community College

OHCS WEBSITE

Oregon Housing and Community Services is placing a greater emphasis on strategic planning and the way we invest our resources. Over the past several years we have been restructuring, refocusing and re-imagining our agency. Our work has led to an increased emphasis on data, research and customer service. We are carrying that effort forward with the development of the Statewide ​Housing Plan.

The plan will clearly articulate the extent of Oregon’s housing problem and what can be done to address it. OHCS has committed to the Housing Stability Council and our stakeholders that the plan will be responsive to the needs of the state, delivered to the legislature and include elements of our equity agenda. To accomplish this task OHCS has hired EcoNorthwest to help deliver this important body of work.​

Alleged drive-by shooting victim arrested for falsifying claims, lying to police

padronage

The alleged victim of a drive-by shooting in Lincoln City was arrested Wednesday and charged with making false claims and lying to police.

Isaiah Padron (Isaiah Padronage), 21, of Lincoln City, admitted he caused damage to his cell phone and minor injuries to himself after he accidentally discharged a stolen firearm while in the bedroom of a family member’s home.

On Monday, Nov. 12, at 3:34 p.m., Lincoln City officers responded to 950 SE 32nd St. on a report of a gunshot victim.

The alleged victim reported he had been walking along SE 32nd Street when a car pulled up, the driver fired a gun, and the bullet hit the cell phone he was carrying in his hand. Lincoln City Police Department (LCPD) detectives recovered the phone, which had damage appearing to be caused by a bullet.

In the days following the initial report, detectives conducted a follow-up investigation to determine the suspect’s identity.

During the follow-up, detectives determined the alleged victim made a false report to police. Detectives recovered the handgun and determined it to be a stolen firearm taken during the burglary of a Central Oregon home.

Padron was taken into custody for Filing a False Police Report, Reckless Endangering, Theft I by Receiving, and Disorderly Conduct. He was lodged at the Lincoln County Jail.

Padron said Monday that the cell phone saved his life. Upon arrival to investigate the incident, police cordoned off the area with yellow crime tape.

Padron said a white male, driving a black late-model four-door sedan near 950 SE 32nd Street & SE Fleet Avenue, shouted, “Hey you!” before shooting a bullet that struck Padron’s iPhone 7, sending shrapnel flying into the bridge of his nose.

“I went for a nice little walk and ended up barely getting home leaking blood,” he said. “Shrapnel from the phone scattered and got my nose.”

Padronage shooting

After the car sped off, Padron said he managed to make it to the Spyglass Apartments, where bystanders were able to assist him.

“I appreciate everyone who helped me. I’m just lucky to be alive,” he said.

Padron was taken by ambulance to North Lincoln Samaritan Hospital, where he received stitches and was released a few hours later.

“My ears started ringing and I couldn’t hear anything,” he said. “All I could do was try to stop the bleeding.”

Padron said a white male passenger accompanied the driver. He said he didn’t know who shot at him or why.

News release issued by Lincoln City Police Department Nov. 13

On November 12, 2018 at around 3:34 pm, Lincoln City Police Officers responded to the area of 950 SE 32nd St on a report of a gunshot victim. The victim, a 20 year-old-male, reported he had been walking along on SE 32nd St when a black, 4-door sedan pulled up and the driver fired a gun at him. The suspect was reported as being a white male.

The victim ran to the apartment complex at 950 SE 32nd St and reported the incident. The victim, whose name is not being released at this time, was taken to Samaritan North Lincoln Hospital and treated for minor injuries before being released.

LCPD Officers closed down SE 32nd St for several hours to investigate and conduct interviews.

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to please call the Lincoln City Police Department at (541) 994-3636.

Earlier breaking coverage

UPDATE: Police said the investigation is ongoing and residents have been told it is safe to go outside.

Lincoln City Police officers cordoned off SE Fleet Avenue and SE 32nd Street due to a drive-by shooting around 4 p.m. Monday.

An adult male allegedly had his cell phone shot out of his hand as he walked on the sidewalk, police said.

“There is damage to the phone so we are investigating this as a drive-by shooting,” Lincoln City Police Officer Brandon Storm said. “Go inside and lock your doors. It’s not safe out here.”

Police said the suspect vehicle left the area and there is no manhunt in the crime scene area.

The adult male was not shot and did not suffer major injuries.

OHA promotes safe food handling with parody ‘Salmonella’ Twitter account

0

Salmonella

Nothing ruins a holiday gathering quite like an unwelcome guest, particularly when that guest is a bout of food poisoning.

Oregon Health Authority (OHA) hopes to help Oregonians avoid sickness this holiday season by sharing prevention messages through Salmonella, a parody Twitter account personifying the salmonella bacteria.

Through his tongue-in-cheek tweets, Salmonella (inadvertently) highlights ways Oregon cooks can make their kitchens less welcoming to the illness-causing contaminant.

Salmonella Twitter

In his messages, Salmonella enthusiastically tells people that using the same cutting board for both raw meats and vegetables is a great way to invite him to dinner; cooking stuffing inside the turkey appeals to his sense of living dangerously; and not to believe the nay-sayers—eating raw cookie dough really is a great way to get sick.

“We want people to know salmonella can have serious consequences for your health,” said Emilio DeBess, DVM, state public health veterinarian and an OHA salmonella expert. “But you can keep it off your menu by taking simple steps as you prepare your food.”

Each year 400-500 cases of salmonella are reported in Oregon. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates salmonella causes 1.2 million illnesses, 23,000 hospitalizations and 450 deaths in the United States each year.

OHA offers the following tips for preventing food poisoning at home:

  • Wash hands and surfaces often.
  • Don’t cross-contaminate.
  • Cook foods to the proper internal temperature.
  • Refrigerate foods promptly.

Although cases of salmonella are most common during the summer months, food is often a central part of holiday preparations, making Thanksgiving and the winter holidays a good time to raise the subject.

Children, older adults, people with weakened immune systems and pregnant women are especially vulnerable to foodborne illnesses and should take extra precautions to practice safe food handling.

Popular social media platforms handle billions of messages each day and are effective ways for people to share information. Robb Cowie, OHA communications director, said the Salmonella social media campaign offers a new way of getting attention for an important public health issue.

“If health experts always deliver food safety messages in the same way, we run the risk that people will tune them out,” Cowie said. “Social media can help spread the word, but it means we have to take a different approach. Our intent with Salmonella’s light-hearted tone is to reach more Oregonians and warn them: Don’t take Salmonella lightly. He can ruin your holiday—or worse.”

Through the campaign, the Salmonella parody account will respond to Oregon-based audiences posting on social media about preparing or consuming food and deliver a timely food safety message. In its first 72 hours, Salmonella has reached nearly 50,000 Oregonians.

Using social media to deliver public health messages is an emerging health communications practice and similar campaigns have shown positive results. In its “Melanoma Likes Me” campaign, Melanoma Patients Australia created a Twitter persona for Melanoma to reach young Australians, the group most at risk for the lethal cancer. Over the summer of 2014-2015 the campaign reached 2 million people and helped generate a 1,371-percent increase in unique visits to the Skincheck mobile site, a site that helped users check their moles and marks for signs of cancer.

Oregonians can follow Salmonella at @SalmonellaOR.

For more information on safe food handling practices, visit the Oregon Health Authority

website

Update on local fire crews assisting in California ‘Camp Fire’

0
A Firefighter sprays water as flames consume a home in Magalia, Calif., on Friday, Nov. 9, 2018. Photo: Noah Berger (AP)

Newport Fire Chief Rob Murphy talked with Strike Team Leader, Andy Parker Wednesday, who said crews were doing well against the “Camp Fire.”

Crews worked a 24 hour shift, getting off this morning. They will rest for 24 hours and go back out on the fire line. The crews have been busy protecting structures, digging handline and assessing damage in Paradise, CA. They reported that between 80-90 percent of Paradise has been burned.

Parker described the landscape as “surreal”.

“Our strike team is made up of personnel and equipment from Yachats RFPD, Central OR Coast Fire Rescue District, Newport FD, Depoe Bay Fire Dist., North Lincoln Fire and Rescue, Toledo Fire Dept., Polk County Fire District, and Dallas/SW Polk Fire,” Parker said. “It is truly a team effort we are putting forth to help the people of California.”

Currently, the “Camp Fire” is 130,000 acres and 35 percent contained. Approximately 6,500 structures have been lost and the death toll is up to 48.

There are still over 15,000 structures threatened and over 5,000 firefighters are assigned to this fire. Oregon has sent 15 strike teams totaling 280 firefighters and 45 engines.